While many reporters are looking for the next Trump outrage story, the more important questions at the G-7 Summit in Biarritz, a resort city in France, will be Iran, China Trade, and the question of allowing Russia back in this elite group. Experts will be discussing the following
1. The trade conflict with Europe that will likely be more damaging than the US-China tit-for-tat conflict. Trump vowed to set tariffs on imported vehicles and parts from the EU but delayed the duty 180 days in May.
2. The US and European handling of the Iran crisis, there are deep differences on solutions.
3. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Brexit.
4. Bringing Russia back into the fold – Macron and Trump are clearly discussing this.
5. And the G7, the US, UK, France, Italy, Japan, Germany and Canada are looking for a solution to reduce tensions between Pakistan and India – they are both nuclear powers and this year missile exchanges were threatened.
The US-China trade war was elevated this past week when China increased tariffs on $75 billion in goods from the US, and was quickly followed by Trump increasing tariffs on Chinese goods and demanding that US firms leave China. This increase in tensions between the US and China might shock the EU as the Trump administration will be viewed as taking aim at Europe on trade.