Here is a challenge that all tech companies will struggle with in the coming decade. As these companies set up teams to cover the ethical challenges presented by AI, they are all looking internally and asking the same question, do we really understand this issue?
AI is an experiment that crosses the line between ethical data crushing and moral decisions about how to handle this information, many managers are scratching their heads and wondering what to do. All applications for AI should be reviewed by committees that are independent and are able to understand the underlying platform. This of course raises questions about the information technology and collected information that is being reviewed and distributed in the social media world.
Also, keep in mind that there are new AI robots that will be placed at airports to review people passing through immigration lines and these AI assisted robots will be able to interview those entering a country, watching for eye movements and nervous twitches. These robots will have an 87% success percentage, but what about the other 13%? These robots use algorithms – which are opinions expressed in numbers.
AI will help us form opinions about others, and hopefully make more well thought out and “right decisions” as many people would like to believe. Imagine AI and other technologies being able to help a judge and jury decide if a suspected murderer is guilty or not. These are the questions that will dog us in the coming decades.